Winter is the time where animals go into hiding and take shelter
According to traditional Chinese medicine (TCM), winter is the time where animals go into hiding and take shelter; a natural phenomenon that forms the basic principle of TCM with regard to winter. As your Yang energy will be low during winter, your metabolism will decrease as well. To rely on your natural driving force, your focus must be to nurture your kidney’s natural strength to boost your body with warm Yang energy and Qi; 養腎防寒, nurture the kidney and dispel cold . Cooling foods have yin qualities, whereas warming foods have yang qualities that enhance blood circulation, dispel the cold and boost your energy. (Learn more about TCM) For that, Dr. Grace Yu recommends you to nourish your kidneys with warming food during the winter, such as lamb and cinnamon. To strengthen the kidney, you can try this simple yet delicious and healthy recipe. With nutritious Chinese medicine and superfoods, the Goji Jujube Longan Honey Cake will help you to calm the Kidney and nourish the Spleen. This cake will be a healthy dessert or snack in the winter and a good way to have fun with the kids during holidays.
Nutritious winter cake: Goji Jujube Longan Honey Cake
Jujube 15g, goji 15g, rose buds 15g, longan honey 50g, brown sugar 30g, 3 eggs, low-gluten flour 120g (sifted), baking soda 3g vegetable oil 60ml, water of the boiled jujube, goji and rose buds 30ml.
- Rinse the jujube, goji and rose buds with warm water for just a minute.
- Remove the seed of the jujubes.
- Chop the jujube and goji finely and put them in a small pan to boil for about 10-15 minutes until soften. Sift out the jujube and goji out of the water and let it dry. Keep the water of the jujube and goji for later purpose.
- Boil the rose buds for 15 minutes. Mix the water of the rose buds with the water of the jujube and goji together. Let it cool down to 40 °C and add the longan honey.
- Add sugar to the eggs and beat on high speed until the mixture has thickened and continue on low speed.
- Add the water mixture of the jujube, goji and rose buds and vegetable oil. Mix until it is smooth and add sifted flour and baking soda. Mix everything evenly.
- Add the cooked jujube, goji and rose buds and mix with a spoon lightly thoroughly in the dough mixture. Pour the mixture in a mold and bake the cake for 25-30 minutes in a pre-heated oven at 170 °C.
Depending on your own body constitution, you will need to mind your diet to avoid imbalances in your body and health.
Find out your body constitution and address your imbalances together with Dr. Grace Yu.
Contributed by Dr. Grace Yu